This week I decided to make cookies in the shape of a few popular smart phone app icons. I kept with a simple colour scheme and decorated with three blue apps – Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
THE THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO GET DOWN AND NERDY
- 250g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- Blue food colouring
- Square cookie cutter
- 1 packet Royal Icing mix
- Piping bags and nozzles
- Prepare cookie dough mixture as per Donna Hay recipe
- Divide into 4 sections and wrap individually and place in fridge to harden
- Roll out cookie dough to about 1/2 cm thick
- Using the cookie cutter, cut squares in the dough and place on a lined baking tray ( if you don’t have a square cookie cutter you can just use a sharp knife and a ruler)
- Using your finger, gently round the corners of each square to look more like an app icon shape
- Bake in 160oC gas oven for about 8-10 minutes until edges start to turn brown (your temperature and cooking time may vary depending on your oven)
- Allow to cool completely before decorating
- Prepare the Royal Icing as per packet instructions
- Divide mixture between two bowls
- Place a few drops of blue food colouring in one bowl until you have a colour similar to the Twitter background
- Place a few more drops of blue food colouring into the other bowl until you have a darker blue similar to that of the Facebook and LinkedIn backgrounds
- Spoon each mixture into a separate piping bag
- To decorate, outline a cookie with a single square line of icing and then fill in the centre making sure there are no gaps
- Repeat for all cookies, but remember, you will need more dark blue cookies than light blue cookies!
THE THINGS YOU WILL NEED FOR MARSHMALLOW FONDANT (as per MyCupcakeAddiction recipe)
- Icing Sugar Mixture
- Copha (Vegetable Shortening)
LET’S DO THIS!
- Using only the white marshmallows, place in a bowl with 3 tsp water
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the marshmallows are melted and smooth
- Stir in icing sugar gradually until a dough forms
- Spread a layer of softened Copha over your workbench as well as over your hands to prevent dough from sticking
- Knead dough onto workbench and keep adding small amounts of icing sugar until desired fondant consistency
- Using a rolling pin, roll out fondant until about 1/4 cm thick
- Using a knife, cut out enough shapes for each app – you will need lowercase letters f, i and n, as well as some twitter birds. (I cut out the letters free hand with a sharp knife, and used a stencil of a Twitter bird I found on Google)
Carefully place the Twitter birds on the light blue cookies and the letters on the dark blue cookies, securing each shape with a tiny amount of left over Royal Icing.
Then you can have fun arranging your cookies however you like!
If you make these Social Media App-etizers I’d love to see your pics!
Happy baking! 🙂